Tuesday, April 28, 2015

My first time using Washi...


What is Washi Tape? 

"Washi tape is a style of Japanese paper tape that started in Japan but manufacturing has now spread throughout the world.  Washi tape is reusable, biodegradable and tree free and made out of highly renewable resources."

The best way to describe it; super thin, decorative, masking tape. Its not super sticky, but will stay put when pressed onto a surface. Plus, its reusable! Washi tape is used in many different applications. However, almost all of it's uses are in arts and crafts.
I've been itching to try my hand at some Washi crafts. So, when I was offered a chance to test and review a complimentary Washi tape set, by Mikoka, I jumped at the chance! Mikoka offers quite a few different Washi tape sets, and they're all different prints and styles! The set I chose is called "Antique Bright." It includes 5 rolls of antique print Washi tape. The prints in this set are; a French script with the Eiffel Tower, antique stamps, air mail labels, antique bicycles, and a 2nd air mail label with dogs on it.

With so many awesome ideas, what would I Washi first??? Good question... When the tape arrived, I opened it up, and my mind went blank. Not exactly the best time to have a creativity mental block. Think, think, think. I thought about it for days, and eventually forgot about it. About a week later, I stumbled upon the Mikoka Washi tape, sitting all alone on my dresser. Next to the stack of Washi rolls, was a few jewelry boxes that I'd been meaning to do something with. I saw the boxes and the tape and knew what I was going to Washi!!! I got my mom some gorgeous earrings for Mother's Day, and I needed to wrap them up... Instead, I would Washi the box, and skip the wrapping. It was a perfect plan!!!

 I'd never Washi'd before, so I was very nervous. The tape felt so delicate... I was going to screw this up big time, I just knew it! But, I started very slowly and carefully, and in just a few minutes I was a Washi pro! It's actually really easy, and the tape is a lot tougher than it looks & feels. You can remove and replace it with ease, and it keeps sticking. It only took about 10 minutes to Washi the gift box for my moms earrings, and it turned out beautiful! You seriously don't need gift bags or wrapping paper, when you have Washi tape! Thanks to Mikoka, I'm beyond thrilled with my Washi experience! I most definitely recommend that everyone go and order some ASAP. It's amazing tape, and you can do soooooo much with it!

How do you Washi?

Check out some of these Washi crafts.

Want to buy your own Mikoka Washi Tape? 

No comments :

Post a Comment