Wednesday, January 21, 2015

*Recipe* Liquid Laundry Detergent


So many people have been asking me about my laundry soap.

The questions I am asked most often are; Why do you make your own laundry detergent? What's in your detergent? And, Can you teach me how to make my own detergent? To be honest, I make my own detergent because I like knowing what I'm putting on my skin, and controlling what chemicals my children are exposed to. Plus, it's super economical! As for what I put in my soap--- I use basic ingredients. Soap, washing soda, borax, water, and essential oils. I do however have my favorite products that I prefer to use in my detergent. For example: I prefer Fels Naptha to Zote, and my favorite essential oils to use are From Purasentials.

Anyhow, here is my basic recipe. Feel free to modify it as you see fit!

1 bar Fels Naptha or Zote ( any soap can be used but the consistency will vary!)
2 cups Washing Soda
1.5 cups Borax Powder






Grate the soap into a large pot ( I prefer a medium grate --- it seems to melt evenly an quickly without clumping too much!)




Add 1 gallon of water to the pot or soap shavings, and heat on medium. Stir continuously until the soap dissolves. If the water boils that's ok! Just turn the heat down so that it doesn't suds up!






Pour the liquid soap into a 5 gallon bucket. Add another gallon of hot water.





Stir in the Borax and Washing Soda. Stir until they dissolve into the liquid soap! 






Continue to add hot water until you've reached the "fill" line on the bucket. Be sure to stir as you add water --- to be sure that the soap, Borax, & Washing Soda mix into the added water.


At this point you can add essential oils to scent the soap, or leave it plain. This go round, I've added 20 drops of lemon oil, and 10 drops of lavender oil! Tweak it to the scent you like! ( Unless you add scent, the soap will leave very little to no scent at all in the wash!)


Cover the bucket and let it sit for 24 hours before using! This makes 5 gallons of liquid laundry detergent concentrate!!! The consistency will range from that of egg drop soup, to a thick gelatinous substance. ( Fels Naptha I'd a denser soap and is more on the runny side. While Zote is a very creamy soap, and gels up pretty thick!)

To use: mix thoroughly & add 50/50 liquid laundry detergent concentrate & water --- use 1/2 cup to 1 cup of mix per load. Adjust the soap amount if the load is exceptionally dirty.

*This is a low sudsing solution & is safe for HE washers!

**This recipe makes a total of 10 gallons of liquid laundry detergent, once mixed 50/50 with water for use.

No comments :

Post a Comment